As cliche as it may seem, this year I am going to focus on my organizing my whole house. When I am organized I feel a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We have put together great organizing ideas for your home that are super simple to follow and practical to get your project done.
Last year we bought a new house, and when we moved I was 7 months pregnant with twins. Every time I move into a new apartment or house I like to declutter while I pack, so I’m not dragging things I don’t need into a new house. This time I was not able to due to being extremely pregnant.I’ve tried to let it go and ignore it, but I can feel this energy that is constantly triggering my anxiety. With a house full of dogs and kids I have been a bit overwhelmed. As my new year’s resolution, I am working on my anxiety and I know no one can fix it but me.
I am working on being more mindful, and I sat and thought about some things that can help my anxiety. Well, I’m constantly thinking of ways to be more organized so I can have control in my life. That’s exactly what I’m going to do- get my life organized, and I’m going to start with my house.
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see our disclosures
Once a week, I am going to focus on one room, that way I don’t feel overwhelmed with so much to do. I’m going to take it slow, that way I can focus on thoroughly decluttering and deep cleaning each room as I go.
I am going to use my declutter schedule and checklist to keep me on track and motivated to get this done. I have used these same organizing ideas and tips for my own and it kept me motivated and on track so I didn’t give up and keep pushing this off to the side. Trust me after you’re done you will feel a whirl of accomplishment.
I’m so excited to get this project started and done. Just know that we are doing this together and someone is out there working to improve their life just like you.
Use this home organizing schedule as you like. You can take your time and stretch it out (I know life is busy), or if you want to hurry and get it done you can do it all in one week, it’s completely up to you. It is a guideline to help you get started because it could be overwhelming if you don’t know where to even begin.
Home Organizing Ideas For The Kitchen
This room is probably my least favorite to clean because there’s so much to clean and organize. If the kitchen isn’t cleaned then I feel like the whole house is a mess. It’s going to feel great when you’re done.
My tip is to start from top to bottom, that way you won’t get the counters dirty again when you clean off the top of the cabinets.
Since we are already taking everything out of the cabinets and drawers might as well wipe them down and get the dust and crumbs that have been sitting there. It’s amazing how dirty the cupboards can get even though they are always closed!
My favorite kitchen organization items to make tidying up the kitchen.
Home Organizing Ideas For The Living Room
If you’re like me and like to change things up once in a while, you can even try to find a new way to rearrange your living room. It’s kind of nice having that changed and a new refreshed perspective.
This room is probably my favorite to organize because there usually isn’t a whole lot to organize but a lot of ways to change up the look of it. Take a look at what you already have in your house and see if you can repurpose as a decorative piece or even storage.
Check out the whole post here to get more organization ideas and tips for living rooms.
Home Organizing Ideas For Small Spaces
Small spaces like bathrooms, linen closets, or laundry rooms are a hard one to keep decluttered and organized which is strange since it’s a small space, but for some reason, it can be overwhelming on how to organize them.
While decluttering these areas I suggest taking everything out of the space and go through all of the baskets, bags, bins, whatever it is and get rid of things you don’t use anymore or expired. A great way to keep things nice and tidy are bins, I love bins! Also, I love labeling them. In the linen closet is also where I keep my kids coloring and painting things, and legos, I label each container so I know which one is which and it also helps me not be lazy and just throw things all into a random bin.
Check out the whole post here to get more organization ideas and tips for small spaces.
print out your schedule and checklist and lets get started!
Home Organizing Ideas For Kid’s Room
Organizing kids rooms can be the most daunting room to organize. If you have younger kids there are so many toys and clothes and little toy pieces that are everywhere that you don’t know what it belongs to but if you throw it away your kids will know.
When I wrote this post it was before we bought a new house. So in the post, I had my two older kids in one room and the twins were still sleeping in our room. But, now in our new house, the two older kids have their own room and the twins share their room. So there are more things to keep organized and tidy.
What I suggest is going through clothes and getting rid of things that don’t fit or put clothes in a bag that can be handed down.
Then if they have toys go through them when they aren’t around because they will say to keep everything. Go through them and if you haven’t seen them play with a toy or you don’t know what the millions of pieces go to, then toss it or donate the toy. I have noticed when I get rid of random things and decluttered toys they start to play with the toys they had more because they weren’t so overwhelmed with so many choices and things in their space.
Check out the whole post here for more organizing ideas and tips for kids rooms
Home Organizing Ideas For The Toy Room
Organizing a toy room or playroom can be a bit of a nightmare if you have multiple kids and kids who don’t want to help keep it clean. Similar to what I did in the kids’ room, take every toy and costume and anything else that may be in their playroom and put it into a pile. Go through everything and donate or toss what they don’t play with anymore.
What I have done to help them help me keep their space clean is to get a bin or box and label it specifically for a group/genre of toys. That way they can pick up and know where it goes. A lot of times they see a mess and get overwhelmed like adults. So if you say can you put the lego pieces away or put the cars in their box, they have some kind of direction and know what to do and where to start, and they will know exactly what bin it goes in.
Check out the whole post here for more organizing ideas and tips for toy room
Home Organizing Ideas For The Bedroom
Going through the main bedroom (our bedroom) was the room I was most excited, but dreading at the same time. I was excited because I was going to make it a calm and relaxing place again, with the closet accessible again, and everything in its place. I was dreading it because it needed a lot of work. I hate going through clothes because I am afraid to get rid of things “just in case.” But, if you look at it, if you get an “ugh” feeling or a “yay” feeling then that is your answer to if you should keep it or toss it.
Check out the whole post here for more organizing ideas and tips for master bedroom
Home Organizing Ideas For The Office
I love organizing the office space or the area that we use to work from home. I imagine how I would feel most productive and relaxed and then I try to create that space. It doesn’t need to be a big space or even a whole room, just a place that you can get all your thinking done and work done.
I like to keep things simple. Find things that keep your little desk accessories organized and a comfy chair that you like to see and sit in. Make it a place that you are happy to be in, because if it’s a place you dread sitting in, then you can’t focus and concentrate well and won’t be able to get anything accomplished.
Check out the whole post here for more organizing ideas and tips for office space
Home Organizing Ideas For The Basement
Basements can easily be the ignored room or space because hardly anyone ever sees it including you, out of sight or of mind. So when your kids go down there and trash it out you don’t even know because it’s not a priority space, at least for me.
However, over time it can get too out of hand and it needs attention. We had our basement set up half “man cave” or entertainment area, and the other half as a play area for the kids. My favorite thing for these areas is shelves, bookshelves, and baskets. You can throw every toy into a bin and place it on a shelf or cubby shelf and it looks a million times better, quick, and easy way to clean up.
Check out the whole post here for more organizing ideas and tips for the basement.
Simple Home Organizing Ideas and Tips To Use
- Clear out everything in the area- Anything you are organizing or any room you are going through, take everything out, and then as you put everything back go through the stuff that you have in a pile. That way you know everything that you have and everything that you don’t need anymore. It makes it more clear and less overwhelming when you decide on purging the item or if you want to keep it.
- Do you really need to have it? Have you used it in the last year?- A rule of thumb you may have heard is if you haven’t used it in a year then you don’t need it. It is very true. If it is something that you will use eventually like extra bedding for guests or something then that is ok. But if it’s a piece of furniture or decoration that you will never use or doesn’t go with what you have now, then donate it.
- Others can benefit more- I know it can be hard to get rid of things that you like but will never use again. But, just know when you donate it, that person that gets it will benefit so much more from it than you. You are helping other people, your trash can be someone else’s treasures.
- Put things in it’s home- My mom always told me when I was little, “everything has its place.” This can be challenging for some people, after using something putting it back where you go it RIGHT AWAY. I know in our busy lives we feel like we don’t have time for that, but if you train yourself to do this, you won’t need to worry about it later and it will be one less thing you’re adding to your list of things to do. The mess and clutter start to pile up and you will be back at square one. Also, you will have less of a chance of losing something.
- Label- Labeling will help you put things in it’s home. If you see a box in your closet that isn’t labeled it’s easy to just toss something in it. But, if it’s labeled then you will think twice about putting something back in the right place. Plus it looks nice and makes things easier to find, which is a huge time saver.
Now on to planning next week- the living room!
Get your whole house organized!
- How To Easily Declutter and Organize Your Living Room
- How To Easily Declutter and Organize Toy Room
- How To Easily Organize Small Areas
- How Get Started Organizing Your Kids Room
- How To Easily Organize Your Bedroom
- How To Easily Organize Your Office
- How To Clean A Messy Basement